“The currency of real networking is not greed but generosity.”
— Keith Ferrazzi, Author of Never Eat Alone
- Networking Skills, CPD Job Search Series, YSENext Document Library
- The Most Important Skills for Networking Successfully, The Balance, 2022
- An Introvert's Guide to Networking, Lisa Petrilli, HBR, 2012
- To Take The Work Out Of Networking, Reframe Your End Goal, excerpt from Catherine Kaputa's book, Breakthrough Branding, Fast Company, 2012
- Digital Networking During Covid 19 (and anytime) Kathy Douglas, 2022
These are just a few of the many reasons why people network:
- Find an Apartment
- Starting a Business
- Find a Good Day Care Center
- Find a Date!
- Job and Internship Search
How To Network
- Ask for Referrals or Introductions (faculty, friends, family)
- Connect with LinkedIn
- Yale Cross Campus
- Set Up Brief Networking Conversations
- Join Professional Associations and Attend Conferences
- Seek Mentorship
“Here’s the truth: Networking is NOT all about who you know or who knows you. Networking is all about who likes you and who respects you.”
— Pete Leibman
"Networking is NOT selling, nor USING people for your gain. Networking IS an exchange of information, contacts, referrals and goodwill. Networking leads to new relationships, new opportunities and greater accomplishments." -- Networking Works! Wetfeet Insider's Guide
- Always reciprocate. Whether making an introduction, providing information or doing a favor. Ideas may come later if nothing immediately comes to mind.
- Always FOLLOW UP. If a faculty member refers you to someone for a possible internship, act on the referral. If you meet someone at a conference and it seems like a fruitful connection, send them an email when you get home.
- Maintain relationships. After you’ve followed up as suggested, let the faculty member know—keep the communication lines open and active.
- Praise your network! When people you know do something worthwhile or merely an achievement you admire or respect, LET THEM KNOW!
CPD Resources and Events » Career Preparation » Networking Skills