Travel Tips

Traveling Securely with your Yale Computer

Please see this Yale ITS page for more information and tips on how to travel securely with your Yale computer and devices.

Yale International Toolkit

As part of Yale's International Tookit, register your travel.  See this page to get started along with 5 more things you should do before you begin your international trip.

Lost or Stolen Device?

If you have had data stolen, lost data, had a device with data stolen on it, or believe that an individual has broken into your computer, please email the YSE Helpdesk.  Then see this page on what to do next.

Wi-Fi Calling while on International Travel

Wi-Fi calling isn't just for when your cell phone isn't getting a good signal in a building, it can also be used when you travel and know you will have easy access to Wi-Fi service.  If travelling outside the U.S. and using Wi-Fi calling, international rates could still apply.  Please check with your carrier for specifc details or email the YSE Helpdesk for more information.

Eduroam - Free Wi-Fi at Participating Institutions

Eduroam allows Yale students, faculty and staff visiting participating institutions to use their Yale credentials to access another institution’s wireless network for free.  You can also access Eduroam any time you’re in range of the institution’s wireless network; e.g. at a nearby coffeeshop. To use, simply select the wireless network “eduroam” and use “” for your username, replacing netid with your actual netid.  To see a list of participating institutions, please see the Eduroam site.  Eduroam access can even be set up before you depart, so once you arrive, your wireless devices will join the Eduroam network automatically.  For assistance, please email the YSE Helpdesk.

Traveling with Loaned Equipment (Insurance REQUIRED)

When faculty, staff or students are traveling outside the US with loaned IT equipment, we require them to purchase personal property insurance.  This must be purchased on a personal credit card; it isn't an allowed expense on a Yale PCard.   However, it will be reimbursed if you have a COA and if the travel is related to Yale business, research, or School-funded travel.  YSE-IT needs proof of insurance before equipment is loaned for an international trip.  Travelers are required to purchase the insurance 7-10 days before travel since the insurance takes 5 days to process. Yale will only reimburse for the minimum amount of insurance.  You will log on with your net ID to set up an account.  Coverage is not transferable from one person to another, but separate insurance need not be purchased for a second trip within the coverage period.
Go to ; choose the $100 deductible and a $2,000 limit, which is $65 dollars.  This policy only runs from mid-August to mid-August of the next year, so the coverage will not be for a full year unless you purchase it in mid-August.

If you have any questions regarding the insurance please contact or call 1-866-535-0456.

In case of loss or theft, please visit this site for directions:

Before Traveling Overseas, Adjust Cell Phone Data Plans to Avoid Huge Charges

If you are making plans to travel outside of the United States (including Canada and Mexico) and are planning to take your cell phone, smart phone, tablet, or computer with you, remember that international voice and data charges can add up to thousands of dollars if you don't have the appropriate international voice, data and messaging plans activated on your devices.

International voice calling plans do not eliminate calling charges; they reduce the rate when dialing a call from overseas or receiving a call while there. 

Also, be aware that international data (including tethering) and messaging plans do not offer unlimited use. You pay a flat rate based on a specific amount of usage (MB or messages) purchased.  When you exceed that cap in a given billing month, you will then pay per KB or message. The usage rates will vary based on the country you are located in.


When making your international travel plans, consider the following:

  • Do you plan to make or receive telephone calls while overseas? Purchase an international calling plan or consider international Wi-Fi Calling (see above).
  • Do you plan on text messaging while traveling? Purchase an international messaging plan or consider using one of the many free over wi-fi text messaging apps.  While using Wi-Fi, apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Line, or Viber.  These are free text messaging apps that you can use while you have a wi-fi connection.  Have your contacts download these apps as well to communicate with them.
  • Do you to plan receive and send email? Purchase an international data plan or consider using wi-fi.
  • Do you use your phone as Wi-Fi hotspot? Verizon users can purchase Mobile Hotspot (requires minimum international data plan).
  • Do you use your phone as a modem (tethering)? Verizon users purchase Mobile Broadband Connect (requires minimum international data plan).
  • Do you have a USB modem for your laptop? Purchase an international data plan.

The options available to you depend on the following:

  • where you will be traveling
  • who your cellular carrier is
  • what kind of device you have (GSM or CDMA)

If you use a Yale-issued phone or device, determine the service and plans you need to add, then contact the YSE-IT Helpdesk by email.  In order to guarantee that your service will be activated in time, we must receive the request at least 7 business days prior to your departure.


To minimize the chance of incurring unnecessary charges:

  • Use Wi-Fi where and when you can.
  • While using Wi-Fi, take advantage of Wi-Fi calling (see above), apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Line, or Viber.  These are free text messaging apps that you can use while you have a wi-fi connection.
  • Turn off your iPhone's "Fetch" and "Push" functions.
  • Keep track of your usage from your device. All carriers provide a means for you to see how much data you have used.
  • If you don't have an international data plan, disable the data functions on your phone throughout your trip.
  • Remember to cancel international voice, data, and messaging services upon your return. You will continue to be billed until this done. Users of Yale-issued phones and devices should contact the YSE Helpdesk to request a cancellation of services.

If you have any question about the services you have or may need, please contact the YSE Helpdesk at or call 203-436-4444.